Fire caused by fireworks leaves family of six homeless

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Add to favorites
  • Email

sjfd night featureA house fire near 20th and Jones streets Monday night caused an estimated $35,000 to the structure and its contents. Investigators believe the fire was caused by some kids playing with fireworks.

St Joseph Fire Department Inspector Steve Henrichson says that by late Monday night the police had not spoken with the kids involved.

Henrichson says two adults and four kids were able to make it out of the burning house safely. Two dogs were rescued by firefighters, and Henrichson says fire crews gave the animals oxygen before they were taken to a local veterinarian for treatment.

The fire cause extensive interior fire and smoke damage.

The Red Cross was called in to assist the family.